Gun Permits

License to Purchase a Pistol (LTP)

If you are purchasing a pistol from a Type 01 Federal Firearms Dealer (retail store), you no longer need to obtain an LTP. You are required, however, to return the MSP portion or the Registry Copy of the Pistol Sales Record to your local police department within 10 days of purchasing the pistol. It can be brought to the department in person during normal business hours or you can return by mail to:
Walker Police Department
Attn: Records
4343 Remembrance Road NW
Walker, MI 49534

Purchase Permits Hours

  • Monday through Thursday 8 am - 4 pm and Friday 8 am - 11 am
  • Notary Fee Charge of $3 per LTP
  • Additional $2 Service Fee if Paid by Credit Card

Note: If you are a non-resident of Walker applying for a permit at the Walker Police Department, there will be a 24- to 48-hour delay in issuance of the permit in order to obtain a background check from your local jurisdiction.

To obtain an LTP

You Must be a Resident of the State of Michigan with a valid Michigan Driver's License or State-issued picture ID reflecting your current address.

You must certify to the following:

  • You are a United States citizen or a resident legal alien.
  • You are a Michigan resident 18 years of age or older.
  • You have never been adjudged insane or legally incapacitated unless competency has been restored by court order.
  • You are not under involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment program due to mental illness.
  • You have no indictment for, pending charges for, nor conviction of, a felony, or if convicted, your rights to purchase or possess firearms have been restored.
  • You have not been found 'not guilty by reason of insanity.'
  • You are not subject to a conditional bond release, personal bond release, personal protection order, or other court order which prohibits you from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
  • You have not unlawfully used a controlled substance (which includes marijuana) in the last year.

If you have any questions regarding the purchase or possession of a handgun, you may call the Walker Police Records Department at 616-791-6812 or contact Michigan State Police Firearms Unit at 517-241-1917.

A Concealed Pistol License (CPL) is issued through Kent County Clerk's Office and all questions regarding that process should be directed to the Clerk at 616-632-7662. An application packet for a CPL may be picked up at the Walker Police Department during regular business hours, or can be printed from the Michigan State Police website, under the Forms tab. Walker Police Department does not do fingerprinting for CPLs.