Stormwater Program

Effective February 1, 2022: Updated Stormwater Design Standards. Learn about them here or by visiting Stormwater Design Standards for DevelopmentCatch basins

The City of Walker has a Separated Storm Sewer System, or MS4 for short. In this type of sewer, stormwater is transported directly to streams, lakes, and rivers rather than to a wastewater treatment plant. While this allows wastewater treatment plants to treat all wastewater, it has the unintended consequence of transporting nonpoint source pollution to waterways.

Walker aims to reduce nonpoint source pollution and localized flooding by implementing a variety of controls, ranging from catch basins to stormwater ponds. Catch basins are specially designed to reduce pollutants from reaching our waterways, while stormwater ponds slow water down to allow pollutants to settle out of stormwater runoff while also preventing flooding downstream.

While these controls reduce the amount of pollution reaching our waterways, it does not eliminate it. Walker partners with the Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds (LGROW) along with other communities within the Lower Grand River Watershed to improve and protect the Grand River, and ultimately, Lake Michigan.

Learn more about stormwater and how you can help keep our natural resources clean here!

For FEMA flood maps and insurance information, visit our flood insurance page. 

Stormwater Documents

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)

Phase II Program Public Education Plan (PEP)

Stormwater Contacts

Spill Response:
City of Walker Fire Department - 911
City of Walker Engineering Department - 616-791-6327Outfall Opens in new window
City of Walker Public Works - 616-791-6854
Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) - 800-292-4706

Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal:
Kent County: Department of Public Works, Resource Recovery - 616-336-2501

To Report Illegal Dumping:
City of Walker Police Department - 911
To Report a Drainage Problem:
City of Walker Public Works - 616-791-6854
City of Walker Engineering Department - 616-791-6327

Stormwater Permit Program History

After February 1, 2022, all new developments must use the updated design standards

With a finite water resource and a growing population, the need to carefully and cooperatively manage and protect the City of Walker's rivers and streams has become a priority. In March of 2003, the Walker City Commission adopted chapter 67 of the Walker Code of Ordinances, more commonly referred to as the Stormwater Ordinance. Following a countywide effort, the City of Walker enacted this environmental legislation to further improve the stormwater quality within our region. In 2014, Walker began the process of updating design standards to comply with new Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy MS4 NPDES Permit requirements, formally adopting them in 2022.

If a new development alters the grade or drainage capabilities of the proposed site, a stormwater permit may be required. This is to ensure that the additional stormwater runoff from the proposed site will be moderated, and adjacent properties or downstream communities will be less likely to flood during a rain event. Copies of the Stormwater permit applications and ordinance are available at City Hall or below in the Stormwater Forms and Documents Section.

For more information regarding the Stormwater Permitting Program, please contact Rachell Nagorsen at 616-791-6327.

Helpful Related Links

Kent County Drain Commission - The mission of the Kent County Drain Commission is to establish, improve and maintain stormwater drainage for the public safety, health, convenience, and welfare of the citizens of Kent County and also to be an effective and efficient steward of our natural and fiscal resources.

Kent County Road Commission - The Kent County Road Commission website provides information about the road system in Kent County. Also, included are links to local townships and city web pages.

Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy - The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE, formerly MDEQ) website is your link to information regarding the environment of Michigan. Information is available about wetlands, surface waters, environmental assistance programs, and much more. You can also find phone numbers, addresses, and web links to the different divisions of EGLE.

Robert B. Annis Water Resources Institute - The Robert B. Annis Water Resources Institute (WRI) is based at Grand Valley University and its mission is to preserve, protect, and improve our natural resources through research and public education. WRI also partners with schools and community groups to provide education and technical resources.

Grand Valley Metropolitan Council - The Grand Valley Metropolitan Council (GVMC) is an alliance of governmental units in the Grand Rapids, Michigan metropolitan area that are appointed to plan for the growth and development, improve the quality of the community's life, and coordinate governmental services.

REGIS - REGIS is a multi-participant Geographic Information System providing information in a graphical format for the use by local and county government agencies and their constituents. An example of the information available would be the location maps for the established county drains in Kent County.